Sunday, December 10, 2006

UTF8 issues

Well after months of no problems with international characters the shit finally hit the fan. I have finally managed to upset perl and tk and the result is international characters being garbled.

ATM Im currently adding a basic debug system to narrow down where UTF8 goes from being fine to fucked. It seems it only happens when perl makes a filesystem call on a string containing file name with international characters. -d. -f and rename all exhibit this problem which never before used to be an issue.

What I currently need is a definite routine to detect international strings, then once I can tell if I am dealing with a UTF8 string I can try to solve the renaming issue as well. Id really appreciate some input on the problem if any one out there has some good solid exp with perl + tk + utf8.

No comments: